I’m going to give the 52 Ancestors in 52 weeks a shot.
This week I have chosen Stewart BITTLES, my 3rd great-grandfather.
I really want to hear from YOU too and hear about your ancestors… don’t be shy!!
• He was born about 1826 June in Ireland.
• He married Margaret in 1852 in Ireland. Per daughter Hannah’s death information her mother is listed as Margaret COLE.
Stewart and Margaret married on September 24, 1852 at the Scarva Presbyterian Church in the county of Down, Ireland
• When he was 32 years old when he immigrated aboard the “City of Mobile” from Liverpool, England on 1857 July 1 to New York, with his family and his brother John (and his family).
His last name is spelled “Bettler.”
• He appeared as “Stuart Bissler” on the census on 1860 July 25 in Lemont, Illinois.
• He appeared as “Stephen Brittles” on the census on 1870 July 22 in Lemont, Illinois.
• He appeared as “Stewart Beetles” on the census on 1880 June 15 in Lemont, Illinois.
• He appeared as “Stewart Bittles” on the census on 1900 June 8 in Lemont, Illinois where he is listed as a 73 years old quarry man.
His wife Margaret died within the past 20 years leaving him a widow, and his daughter Mary Ann SINYARD and her 6 children
live with him.
• He appeared as “Stuart Bittles” on the census on 1910 April 16 in Lemont, Illinois. His widowed daughter Mary Ann SINYARD
and 4 of his grandchildren live with him.
• He died on 1914 November 23 in Lemont, Illinois when he was 89
• He was buried at the Brooks Cemetery in Goodings Grove, Will, Illinois on 1914 November 26.
I created a Find-A-Grave memorial for him though no one has been able to find a grave marker for him.
Created by: Lisa Haerens
Record added: Nov 28, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 62277366
Parents: Thomas Bittles & Hannah McCloud
Spouse: Margaret Cole (1826 – 1880-1900)
1 Jane Bittles (1853-1926)
2 Thomas Bittles (1856- )
3 Hannah Agnes Bittles2 (1858-1931)
4 Daniel Bittles (1860-After 1870)
5 Hannah Agnes Bittles (1862-1931)
6 Margaret Bittles (1862-1910)
7 Mary Ann Bittles (1864-After 1949)
8 Elizabeth W. Bittles (1866-1951)