52 Ancestors in 52 weeks. This week I have chosen Susanna HOENINGHAUSEN, my 3rd great-grandaunt.
Name: Susanna Kessler
1. She was born about 1815 in Germany most likely to Nikolaus Kessler & Mrs. Petronilla Kessler.
2. She married Joseph Hoeninghausen about 1846 in Germany.
3. She immigrated from Antwerp, Belgium on 1852 June 7 to New York aboard the “Landdrost Leitcken”. She is a 26 year old farmer who is moving with her family from Germany to the United States. My guess it is because her brother, Christopher Kessler, is already living in Detroit. How many other siblings might already be living in the USA?
4. Between 1857-1882 she resided on Lafayette in Detroit, Michigan. The house number changed from 129 to 141 to 177.
5. She appeared on the census on 1860 June 16 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. She is 37 years old and takes care of the home and the family, is able to read and write, and her name is recorded as “Susan Kessler.”
6. She appeared on the census on 1870 July 12 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. She is 47 years old and takes care of the home and the family and is able to read and write.
7. She appeared on the census on 1880 June 1 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. She is 57 years old and takes care of the home and the family and is able to read and write.
8. She attended St. Mary’s Church, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, USA.
9. She died of valvular heart disease on 1882 January 13 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan when she was 59 years old.
10. She was buried at the Mt. Elliott Cemetery in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan on 1882 January 16. There used to be a monument on the lot, but it has long since been destroyed by weather or by vandals.
All who are buried in Section A, Lot 109 (names are transcribed as they appear):
Eliz. Asehman – Mathias Aseheman – Mathew Kessler – Susanna
Honighausen – Jos. Kessler – Leo Stockwell – Christopher Kessler – Mary Kessler – Marg. Kessler – Ruth L. Anchor – Alier Schulte
I created a Find-A-Grave memorial for her:
Record added: Dec 08, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 45237662
Parents: Nikolaus Kessler & Mrs. Petronilla Kessler (based upon Christopher’s marriage record)
Spouse: *Joseph Hoeninghausen (1815 – 1899)
1 Theodore Hoeninghausen (1847-1902)
2 Joseph N. Hoeninghausen Jr. (1849-1924)
3 August Christ Hoeninghausen (1851-1912)
4 Emma Denna Hoeninghausen (1854-1951)
5 Adolph Hoeninghausen (1857-1920)
6 Emil George Hoeninghausen (1861-1909)