Posts Tagged ‘Sarah Smith’
I missed it last week. 52 ancestors in 52 weeks. This week I have chosen Levi Doughty, my 3rd great-grandfather.
1) Levi DOUGHTY was born in 1817 in Maine.
2) He appeared as “Levi Doughty” on the census in 1840 in Monson, Piscataquis, Maine, USA. I am not 100% sure I have the correct Levi Doughty as this census was taken prior to his marriage to Hannah, and I am not aware of who the members in his household might be. There is one male listed between the ages of 15 & 20. One male listed between the ages of 20 & 30. One female listed between the ages of 10 & 15, and one female between the ages of 50 & 60. Levi would be the male between 20 & 30 with a widowed mother and a younger brother and sister? Listed above Levi is a John Doughty with both a male and female between the ages of 20 & 30. Perhaps a brother?
3) He married Hannah McINTIRE on April 15, 1844 in Brighton, Maine.
4) He appeared as “Levi Doughty” on the census on 1850 August 29 in Elliotsville, Maine. He is a 35 year old farmer, and his wife Hannah is a 31 year old housekeeper born in New Hampshire. They are the parents of 4 year old Emily, and they are both able to read and write and the value of their real estate is $400.
5) He appeared as “Levi Doughty” on the census on 1860 June 1 in Greenville, Maine. He is 44 years old and has quit farming and now works as a blacksmith. His wife Hannah is a 41 year old housekeeper born in New Hampshire, and they are the parents of Emily who is 14 years old and goes to school. They family is able to read and write, and they now live in a hotel.
6) His wife Hannah Mcintire died on 864 December 8, 1864.
7) Sometime between 1864 & 1868 he met and married Sarah A. SMITH of Clearfield, Pennsylvania.
8) He moved in 1868-1870. They moved sometime after their daughter Hannah was born in 1868 and before their son Frank was born in 1870.
9) He appeared as “Levi Doughty” on the census on 1870 June 12 in Alpena, Alpena, Michigan, USA. He is a 50 year old blacksmith from Maine, and his wife Sarah is a 27 year old housewife from Pennsylvania. (his wife Hannah died 6 years earlier, and he remarried.) They are both able to read and write, and he is a citizen of the USA. There are no children listed with them though Sarah is pregnant, and it is not known where his daughter Emma or their daughter Hannah resides. They have moved to Michigan and currently live in a hotel.
10) He appeared as “Levi Doughty” on the census on 1880 June 8 in Long Rapids, Michigan. He is a 63 year old blacksmith, and his wife Sarah is a 37 year old wife & mother. They have 4 young children at home and they are both able to read and write.
11) He had a residence in 1883-1884 in Long Rapids, Michigan. He is listed as the Highway Comm. for Long Rapids. He works as a blacksmith.
12) He died of heart failure on 1893 August 14 in Alpena, Michigan when he was 77 years old.
13) He has a Find-A-Grave memorial
Created by: Lisa Haerens
Record added: Jan 21, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 64503409
14) His death notice was published in the Alpena Argus on 1893 August 16 in Alpena, Michigan. It was just his name.
Spouse: Sarah Ann Smith (1843 November – 1906 July 28)
1 Emma Ann Doughty (1845-1900)
2 Hannah E. Doughty (1869-1893/1900)
3 Levi Doughty (1871-1871/1880)
4 Hiram Franklin Doughty (1871-1872)
5 Maggie May Doughty (1872-1891)
6 Martin Doughty ( – )
7 Clara J. Doughty (1876-1966)
8 William Webster Doughty (1877-1954)
There are a handful of Doughty families living in Maine so I am unsure who his parent’s might be. I am also unaware of any siblings he might have though I *think* Daniel Doughty who married Abigail McIntire might be his brother. Abigail is the sister of Levi’s wife Hannah, and it is not unusual for brothers of one family to marry sisters of another family. As of now he is a lone island and I would love any information on him!
BENSON Anthony – 1877, married Angelique MONDOUX in Ontario, Canada 140 years ago. (3rd great-granduncle -m)
BENSON Patrick – 1862, died in Ontario, Canada 155 years ago when he was 80 years old. (5th great-grandfather -m)
BOOTH Matilda (Robbins) – 1928, died in Ossineke, Michigan 89 years ago when she was 59 years old. (2nd great-grandaunt -m)
DOUGHTY William – 1877, born in Alpena, Michigan 140 years ago to Levi Doughty & Sarah SMITH. (2nd great-granduncle -m)
FENWICK Edward – 1956, died in Bay County, Michigan 61 years ago when he was 67 years old. (2nd cousin 2x removed -p)
FOUNTAIN Mae – 1923, married Edward STONE in Port Huron, Michigan 94 years ago. (2nd cousin 2x removed -m)
LAPAN Rose (Stegman) – 1946, died in Bay City, Michigan 71 years ago when she was 63 years old. (1st cousin 4x removed -p)
ROSS William – 1876, born in West Bay City, Michigan 141 years ago to John Ross & Agness ANDERSON. (1st cousin 3x removed -p)
ROSS William – 1948, died in Bay City, Michigan 69 years ago on his birthday when he was 72 years old. (1st cousin 3x removed -p)
If you have information about any of these people or if you would like more information, please contact me!
BROWN Morton – 1895, died in Rosenhayn, New Jersey 121 years ago when he was 51 years old. (3rd great-granduncle -m)
DOUGHTY Clara – 1876, born in Long Rapids, Michigan 140 years ago to Levi Doughty & Sarah SMITH. (2nd great-grandmother -m)
LAPAN Paul – 1914, born in Bay county, Michigan 102 years ago to Joseph Lapan & Mary HOULE. (1st cousin 3x removed -p)
PIERCY John Jr. – 1993, died in Sacramento, California 23 years ago when he was 79 years old. (1st cousin 3x removed -m)
TYE Sarah – 1915, born in St. Joseph, Missouri 101 years ago to William Tye & Ellen LAMBERT. (1st cousin 3x removed -m)
ABARE Elizabeth – 1903, married Henry BRADWAY in Chazy, New York 113 years ago. (1st cousin 4x removed -p)
AUBAIN Peter – 1905, born in Quebec, Canada 111 years ago to Olivier Aubain & Marceline LAPAN. (1st cousin 4x removed -p)
DOUGHTY Maggie – 1872, born in Alpena, Michigan 144 years ago to Levi Doughty & Sarah SMITH. (2nd great-grandaunt -m)
FLEWELLING Vaughn – 1931, married Nona MILLER in Rogers City, Michigan 85 years ago. (1st cousin 4x removed -m)
ROSS John Isaac – 1902, died in Kawkawlin, Michigan 114 years ago when he was 80 years old. (3rd great-grandfather -p)
WHITE Joel – 1796, born in Chesterfield, Massachusetts 220 years ago to Noah White & Tamah BATES. (4th great-granduncle -m)